Navigating Life As A Masker in 2023

I do think all of us covid-aware folks are experiencing trauma. And it's not PTSD because we arent in the "post" phase of this. We experience it daily. And yet we have to survive around this severe Covid-denialism resulting in people injuring themselves, others, and posing threats to us. It isn't easy. Because we can't get pulled into denial or false reality, but also we can't deal with being gaslit all the time, and we depend on some of these people and institutions, even if temporarily until we find safer substitutes. Navigating them safely is very hard. And tiring. But, we are fast and strong, and we can get by the tricks. 



What I recommend is finding what you are comfortable functioning in both professionally and personally. Think about what you can do. Find a profession/job/education that keeps you and your family safe. Look at virtual/remote positions and/or schools. Virtual and remote positions are rapidly expanding and have not went back to pre-pandemic levels. It is worth it to go through the change, even if it involves changing career paths or past plans. Health is a value, and things have changed. You can also file a complaint at work. I know someone looking into filing an ethics complaint at their work because they feel, if not, they are complicit in the harms from masking policies being removed. At least by filing a complaint, they have it documented they don't agree with this policy.

Seek healthcare options that are the least risky. For instance, we can look into mobile healthcare, telehealth, and practices that are still using precautions (if you can find them). Ask for accommodations ( you can do by using ADA justifications, or just by requesting). 

And you can set boundaries with family. For instance, my family (who don't use precautions anymore, and don't live with me) knows I'm covid-cautious and that I firmly require us all to be masked for get-togethers. I just don't do it, won't do it, any other way. And I also don't put myself in places where I'm surrounded by covid-deniers. Instead I surround myself with advocacy work and those trying to make changes. It really is not acceptable what people are doing and I need to keep myself (and my child whom I care for fulltime) strong and healthy as possible. At the very least, we deserve that ability. I like the line "I do not consent to infection." 



And we have found a strong sense of community and camraderie amongst the growing groups who are forming in response to the removal of safety policies, to the increasing sicknesses and disabilities, to the unsustainable and irrational approaches so many have cosigned onto. We do not cosign others' B.S. 

We have had to make lots of changes in our lives, but I am happy we did, and we are functioning much better in our hearts and minds, and as social, caring beings, by doing things this way. My son and I both feel confident and proud to be Maskers, still, in 2023. 

Wearing a mask might have used to imply a sickness or vulnerability (of which many animals and humans have an instinct to hide such things for reasons justified and not), but now, wearing a mask implies a strength: of character, of added protection, of wisdom, of stubborn nonconformity in the name of truth, of self-preservation, of ability to adapt and survive. Wear it proud, people.







For more information, comics, and advicacy works, visit our website:

the-maskers-comic.yolasite.com




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dead Beat CDC

You wouldn't take this risk on other things!